Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thomas45

Originally Posted by premedbails View Post
We were together for three years. Some days are easier than others for me, others leave me in shambles.

Now it’s been a month and I can’t stop being upset about it. I miss what we used to have before he got bad. I hate that I had to break up with someone I was still in love with. The last time we talked was over text, and I wanted to talk in person and see how he was doing but he told me he was the same and he couldn’t leave the bottle. He told me if he saw me it would just be too painful and he couldn’t do it.

I’m turning 21 in a month and I can’t even look at alcohol. I’ve never been a big drinker, but I was excited to finally go to the bars with friends. Now I don’t even think I’m going to go out for my 21st birthday. It would just be too painful.

I'm sorry this is so long...I just need some encouragement. I need the support of people who have gone through this and I need to know that I made the right decision. I miss the old, sober Alex so much.
As much as it hurts, you made the right decision in my opinion. You are still young and have your entire life ahead of you, and since your Alex hasn't yet found the conviction to face his addiction and change his life around, your life would have only gotten worse for the forseeable future had you stayed with him. Life with an active alcoholic doesn't get better when the alcoholic is getting deeper into their addiction.

I sympathize with you. It took me almost a year for my feelings of anger, frustration, and sadness to start fading and that's with spending the entire time focusing on myself and the things I enjoy, and complete no contact with the ex. Time will heal your heart, if you let it... but it does take time.