Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

whenever we say "The Lord's Prayer" in my home group, I hear at least three different versions being recited.

Our Creator, Our Mother, Spirit of the Universe.... and others.

remember that while AA does sincerely mean GOD AS WE UNDERSTAND HIM.... still it is a program based on humans and it had to be written down in language. So, words had to be chosen.

We have to walk into that AA meeting and open that Big Book with the awareness that the founders could never have come up with a set of words that would simply appeal to and feel "right" to everyone. So, they chose words that were simple and recognizable and then they built those words around a philosophy, around principles and practices.

You will get some people in AA who believe that the program refers to the Christian God and that THEIR understanding is the "right" one and they will try to use the words and the book to validate that view. That is not in keeping with the philosophy of the program. Let these type of folks have their opinion... all that matters is that you know and understand the real intent. Remind yourself that this program is there FOR YOU.... it's there to help YOU recover. And it's there for all those others, too - but it's not their business to decide how the program applies to you.

I understand the feelings you're having... I've had them too. AA's conception of God and AA's words sometimes rub me wrong as well. But AA and the Big Book have really been powerful tools in my sobriety. I encourage you to hang in there, practice acceptance, take what works and set aside the things that don't .