View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Welcome Fabat50.

That's normal initially. But, over time the obsession will pass. You'll be feeling very emotionally 'raw' as well most probably. And I remember really struggling to focus on anything very well. Even the most simple magazine article needed double-reading to get the jist.

So lovely to hear you have a supportive doctor. Not all are you know! Have you considered any face to face support groups? There is some good information about the various options here.... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Personally I have found AA to be a fantastic support network, and am happy to answer any questions that you might have on that as much as I can - just feel free to ask.

You may have already come across HALT being mentioned on here. It's a good way of remembering the four most common triggers to try to avoid...
Hunger : (eat small meals regularly to keep your blood sugar nice and level as this will help your mood / emotions stay as in-balance as possible)
Anger : Try to avoid people / places / chores that are likely to invoke frustration as much as possible while you're getting used to existence without the old crutch alcohol to offer some relief.
Lonely: Try to avoid isolating. Once you're lonely, self-pity can quickly follow - and our AV's (alcoholic voices) just love a bit of self-pity as it gives them lots of ammunition to get us to cave in to that first drink.
Tired: Your body and mind will need rest. This might not look like proper sleep in the first week or so. Bubble baths; favourite films and books (feel-good ones); cuddles with pets or nice people - as long as you're relaxing as much as possible it can only help.

Again - welcome aboard the forum And best wishes for a gentle sober journey to serenity and recovery.