View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
PurpleDan

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I just read the first 6 chapters today. Can't say I'm impressed.

I agree with the general premise, but can't possibly see how that book would help me maintain sobriety. First four chapters basically say alcoholics can't control their drink, and spirituality is key to sobriety. Ok, cool, I agree, but already knew that.

I don't agree with how they imply just open your heart, talk to God, and you'll instantaneously have a spiritual awakening. Sorry, but no, that's not how it works. It takes months or years of learning, guidance, practice, and meditation to align your body, mind and soul to become at peace with both, yourself and the world. It doesn't happen within the span of 5 minutes.

They imply you need to be fearless, and I can understand their point of view, but disagree at the same time. I do understand we do need to let go of the pain from the past that causes fear stopping us from journeying into our new sober life. That I get, and agree with, and totally understand how spirituality can help you obtain that level of existence.

I don't agree with becoming truly fearless though. Fear is one of the most powerful emotions we have, and it's there for a reason. It's a natural defence mechanism, and it keeps us alive. Going through life without fear is naive at best, and suicidal at worst.

Then maybe I've just been living in a Buddhist society too long, but a good portion is just the way things work here. For example, someone who is "spiritually sick" as the book calls them is generally naturally looked at with tolerance and sympathy, not fear and resentment.

I don't know, to each their own, and if it helps you, then great, and that's all the matters. For me personally, I think learning about Buddhism would (will) be far more beneficial to my recovery than the Big Book.
Just reading the book isn't a good way to maintain sobriety, nor to gain the things that we are promised.

It's a programme of action - the 12 steps. They can possibly done without the aid of a sponsor, but a good sponsor, IMHO, is invaluable to doing them fearlessly and thoroughly. A sponsor is a guide along the journey...they've been down the road before and know the way.

A spiritual awakening is THE result of working the steps. It doesn't happen in 5 minutes. It takes work and dedication. And a spiritual awakening isn't attaining a point of nirvana...it's a new way of looking at and living in life. It's the gateway.

The fearless bit...it doesn't mean letting go of absolutely all fear. I would fear going into a rough part of a city at night on my own. That's a reasonable & healthy fear to have. The fears from which I need to be free are the ones that cripple me.

From what I see from friends who have explored Buddhism, it's very complementary to the 'AA' way of life. I don't know how effective Buddhism alone is at providing recovery from alcoholism. My experience, and that of countless AA folks I've met, is that working the 12 steps is incredibly effective if they're worked.