Notices

How should I read the Big Book?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How should I read the Big Book?

I've not read the Big Book or began the steps. Any recommendations on how to read it and study? At this point I don't plan to get a sponsor or go to live meetings.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started at the front and read to the back

I got something from it

D
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just start in and set it down when you start to lose interest.

I got a copy and started on page 1. I was expecting to just read a few pages. I couldn't put it down.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee I giggled a bit at your obvious response....read it front to back. 😅
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Start with the doctors opinion in the beginning of the book. Then jump to chapter 3, "more about alcoholism" I was able to relate to that entire chapter. It was very helpful. Also, if you jump to the back of the book there are short stories about the lives of people and their story about alcohol. I could relate to several of those stories too, which also helped.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen!!! 👍😊😊😊
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
Dee I giggled a bit at your obvious response....read it front to back. 😅
I really did tho

D
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

I read it alone and stopped drinking.

I read it with other alcoholics and got sober.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The 12 and 12 is really good for getting more insight into the steps as outlined in the BB. It is available here (free) an can be read step by step. Alcoholics Anonymous : Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

The thing is, the best way I have found of reading and studying it has been at a Big Book study meeting. We read a chapter (or a few pages - depending on how many people are there) and then reflect on it. Usually I gain a lot of insight listening to other people's responses (whether or not I agree with them) during these sessions than I have when I have just read the chapter or passage on my own.
Before I found the courage to go to that meeting I also made use on the Joe and Charlie BB study tapes on youtube which I also found useful and still listen to sometimes ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq72R27AJ3U

Just out of interest - why the reluctance to get a sponsor or go to live meetings?

Last edited by Dee74; 10-06-2015 at 04:56 AM. Reason: copyright declaration req when linking to aa.org
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SportsFan15 View Post
I've not read the Big Book or began the steps. Any recommendations on how to read it and study? At this point I don't plan to get a sponsor or go to live meetings.

Hi.

when I was given My BB I was told to STUDY IT like a textbook that would save my life and when done start at page one again. That works for many particularly at meetings with others as we have a natural ego that says I can do it myself. I see that it’s like kindergarten and the only one in the room with no help for years, we need others observations as well besides just reading it.

In fact most people that do go to BB study meetings for years comment often that they never saw a particular sentence before with regularity.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just read the first 6 chapters today. Can't say I'm impressed.

I agree with the general premise, but can't possibly see how that book would help me maintain sobriety. First four chapters basically say alcoholics can't control their drink, and spirituality is key to sobriety. Ok, cool, I agree, but already knew that.

I don't agree with how they imply just open your heart, talk to God, and you'll instantaneously have a spiritual awakening. Sorry, but no, that's not how it works. It takes months or years of learning, guidance, practice, and meditation to align your body, mind and soul to become at peace with both, yourself and the world. It doesn't happen within the span of 5 minutes.

They imply you need to be fearless, and I can understand their point of view, but disagree at the same time. I do understand we do need to let go of the pain from the past that causes fear stopping us from journeying into our new sober life. That I get, and agree with, and totally understand how spirituality can help you obtain that level of existence.

I don't agree with becoming truly fearless though. Fear is one of the most powerful emotions we have, and it's there for a reason. It's a natural defence mechanism, and it keeps us alive. Going through life without fear is naive at best, and suicidal at worst.

Then maybe I've just been living in a Buddhist society too long, but a good portion is just the way things work here. For example, someone who is "spiritually sick" as the book calls them is generally naturally looked at with tolerance and sympathy, not fear and resentment.

I don't know, to each their own, and if it helps you, then great, and that's all the matters. For me personally, I think learning about Buddhism would (will) be far more beneficial to my recovery than the Big Book.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was told to just believe that we believe. The program has worked for millions for about 80 years.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read it cover to cover three times.

I have read the personal stories many times - just two or three at a time. Then sometimes I've just picked it up and read it from a random page.... To see what it has to tell me that day.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Troy - glad things are going well for you.
I know few people who have found Buddhism and are also in the rooms of AA (we have a good Buddhist centre in Cambridge which is nearby) and they say that they've found that the steps and Buddhism works well for them.

I'm not one for being able to quote the big book (my memory was never great, even before 25 years of drinking), but I'm fairly sure it doesn't tell anyone to look at anyone with fear or resentment. More that that's how, as alcoholics, that's what we have been doing for too long, and that is part of our 'spiritual sickness'.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Beccy,

No, no... it doesn't say view anyone with fear and resentment. The complete opposite actually. It's when you're doing your personal inventory, you're supposed to write down individual, cause, and effect. Many times in the effect column you'll note you feel fear and / or resentment towards that person for whatever reason (eg. boss is a jerk, and might fire me).

The book says that person is "spiritually sick" as well, and instead you should look towards them with compassion, sympathy and tolerance. All I meant was reading that type of thing doesn't help me personally, because that's simply the way society here works. It's very communal living, very non-judgemental, everyone views this as OUR community, so it's very seldom people here get looked at with fear / resentment. They just don't do that here -- it's second nature not to for everyone.

That's all I meant.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I just read the first 6 chapters today. Can't say I'm impressed.

I agree with the general premise, but can't possibly see how that book would help me maintain sobriety. First four chapters basically say alcoholics can't control their drink, and spirituality is key to sobriety. Ok, cool, I agree, but already knew that.

I don't agree with how they imply just open your heart, talk to God, and you'll instantaneously have a spiritual awakening. Sorry, but no, that's not how it works. It takes months or years of learning, guidance, practice, and meditation to align your body, mind and soul to become at peace with both, yourself and the world. It doesn't happen within the span of 5 minutes.

They imply you need to be fearless, and I can understand their point of view, but disagree at the same time. I do understand we do need to let go of the pain from the past that causes fear stopping us from journeying into our new sober life. That I get, and agree with, and totally understand how spirituality can help you obtain that level of existence.

I don't agree with becoming truly fearless though. Fear is one of the most powerful emotions we have, and it's there for a reason. It's a natural defence mechanism, and it keeps us alive. Going through life without fear is naive at best, and suicidal at worst.

Then maybe I've just been living in a Buddhist society too long, but a good portion is just the way things work here. For example, someone who is "spiritually sick" as the book calls them is generally naturally looked at with tolerance and sympathy, not fear and resentment.

I don't know, to each their own, and if it helps you, then great, and that's all the matters. For me personally, I think learning about Buddhism would (will) be far more beneficial to my recovery than the Big Book.
Just reading the book isn't a good way to maintain sobriety, nor to gain the things that we are promised.

It's a programme of action - the 12 steps. They can possibly done without the aid of a sponsor, but a good sponsor, IMHO, is invaluable to doing them fearlessly and thoroughly. A sponsor is a guide along the journey...they've been down the road before and know the way.

A spiritual awakening is THE result of working the steps. It doesn't happen in 5 minutes. It takes work and dedication. And a spiritual awakening isn't attaining a point of nirvana...it's a new way of looking at and living in life. It's the gateway.

The fearless bit...it doesn't mean letting go of absolutely all fear. I would fear going into a rough part of a city at night on my own. That's a reasonable & healthy fear to have. The fears from which I need to be free are the ones that cripple me.

From what I see from friends who have explored Buddhism, it's very complementary to the 'AA' way of life. I don't know how effective Buddhism alone is at providing recovery from alcoholism. My experience, and that of countless AA folks I've met, is that working the 12 steps is incredibly effective if they're worked.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I read living sober then the big book both good books
Old 10-06-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A reminder that the Newcomers forum is a place to discuss sobriety methods, not debate them. Let's stay on topic here and answer the OP's question.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by jeneffer27 View Post
Start with the doctors opinion in the beginning of the book. Then jump to chapter 3, "more about alcoholism" I was able to relate to that entire chapter. It was very helpful. Also, if you jump to the back of the book there are short stories about the lives of people and their story about alcohol. I could relate to several of those stories too, which also helped.

Bingo!
In the Dr's opinion I learn of the 5 types of alcoholics quickly identified and then the statement - all these and many others.......

I re - read More About Alcoholism often. It is a constant reminder we try to fool ourselves. For me this sum it all up......

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

The Big Book is broken down into the program and then the stories. Most agree the program is the first 103 pages of the book - but all is of value for sure.

I suggest to newcomers they read the story Acceptance Was the Answer - around page 400 or so as I recall.

Glad you're here, welcome friend!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Read it with an open mind. Look for the similarities and not the differences. If you are like me don't try to over complicate it. Regardless of whether or not you decide to work the program or not you should find some valuable stuff in it.