View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
PasserbyDave

GhostFace - - Thanks for posting this; I've had many, many 60-day-recoveries myself. You're doing a couple of the same things that are working for me; learning to live much more in the now has really helped. It has allowed me to do another really helpful thing you menioned, which is monitoring your thoughts and thinking more before you act. There's that little voice in your head that you have to become hyper-aware of; the one that keeps telling you "It'll be okay to have just one drink, you need it, you deserve it, just one." That's your Addictive Voice. It's actually a real, genuine part of your brain, part of your hard-wired survival system that evolved to make you pursue survival-related things that are pleasurable like food. Unfortunately alcohol is highly pleasureable too, and for some of us our survival system goes haywire and drives us toward alcohol like it's a matter of life of death. For me, I have to watch for that sneaky little Addictive Voice and override it; tell it to SHUT THE HELL UP (not out loud, but inside my head) when it tries to convince me to drink, almost like it's a separate person. I posted more about this in the SoberRecovery Blog Section, here --> SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - PasserbyDave