View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LBrain

no-one is going to 'bash' you - I certainly hope not.

One thing I didn't see on your list was : Don't drink no matter what.

Once you put yourself in the mindset of not "needing" a drink things become easier.
For many the toughest part is accepting that they can never drink again.
Some look at this as defeat. Actually, it is a victory! Once you establish that in your mind, and fully embrace that you will never drink again - and don't need to - you can take a more controlled approach on how to deal with 'life'.
When I lost my job the first thing I said to myself was that I was never gonna let alcohol affect my life again. And the only way for me to achieve that goal was to never drink again. NEVER. I didn't play around with the thought of maybe I can have one or two in time. I learned from the experience of others that thinking like that is playing with fire. I read countless times of someone who decided to have 'a' drink. Just one for whatever particular reason. Two months later or two years later and longer after that one drink they are back talking about it and wishing they could stop again.

Maybe take a read up on AVRT - the "long version" sticky in the secular connections forum. It can help you make the decision to take control and make a commitment to never drink again. Do this along with whatever else you have planned to help you. Group support is beneficial. But until you make the decision to never drink again no matter what, all the support in the world might not help you stop. It really is up to you. You can be more powerful than your desire to drink. Take charge, you can do this I know it.