View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
gleefan

Remember how I posted this morning that I practice recovery so I can handle life when it gets bumpy?

This morning my life was going relatively smoothly. The shortly after I posted, my husband informed me that he was laid off. He is the breadwinner and the loss of his income threatens all of our financial security.

It's due to corporate restructuring - there's nothing he did wrong, and there's nothing he could have done to prevent it.

When he told me the news, I cried. I ran all the worst case scenarios in my head. I felt angry at how unfair it is. I wondered if it was going to send me to drink. My husband has issues with alcohol; I wondered if this would this send him deep into the bottle....

Then I put recovery into practice. I took deep breaths to calm down. I stayed in the moment. I said the Serenity Prayer. This put my concerns in perspective. I accepted that life has bumps. I accepted that we are losing our primary income. I remembered that the life I have in mind for myself may not be the one my HP wants for me. I reached out to other alcoholics for support.

I was working at home today. In my job, in a customer service call center, I have to keep an even keel no matter what's going on. When I found my demeanor dropping, I just came right back to the present and added some positivity and buoyancy to my voice.

There's no saying how my husband will handle this obstacle, or how it'll play out for my family. It was pointed out to me that there's opportunity for relationship growth with this challenge. I don't know. I know that I'll do what I need to do; I'll go to work, go to AA meetings, post on SR, reach out to give and receive support, see my friends, take the kids to hockey, exercise, eat my veggies, work hard, and do my best. In this struggle I have an opportunity to be a power of example - instead of a hot mess that needs to be calmed and tamed.

Any other suggestions or support would be wonderful!