View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
Frick & Key, I too have struggled with acting before stopping and analyzing first. Most things aren't even worth addressing, and being the emotional person that I am, things always seemed to be bigger than they really are. Being able to step back and breathe first helps tremendously. I still have knee-jerk reactions, but I recognize them, which is the beginning of change. Sobriety has so many positive residual effects that I have completely forgotten about. So glad I didn't give in to my acute craving last night and can feel like my three weeks haven't been a waste. Namaste all!
Hi Cali
I think this emotional impulse control (or lack there of) is a very common theme for addicts and a huge 'reason' for relapse. I tend to take everything personally, I become a victim very easily. This makes anger my go to reaction. Not very helpful in recovery. For example, I went to a chiropractor last week. $150 bucks for mostly talk. And my back is worse (although its better today...much better thank goodness). I was going to go today but thought 'not such a good idea'. Then I started to stew...'150 bucks to make me worse! My back is never going to get better. I'm going to be in a wheel chair at 70. Why does this always happen to me?'. Whaaaaa? So I stopped. Called the office, calmly but assertively expressed my concerns, asked for a credit. Now I'm waiting to hear back. If they don't cooperate, there are other options. But this is just stuff that happens. Its not being TOO me. Anyway, yeah. Time to be a big girl