View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
gleefan

I post primarily from my phone; my autocorrect comes up with some wacky stuff.

BoozeFree - I hope you had a good day at womp. Mine was so-so. Parts were good, others were challenging. As I get deeper into recovery and the 12 steps I understand better WHY certain things trigger me, WHAT underlying insecurity they trigger, and HOW to respond instead of react. That really is so freeing - and more than I ever expected from going to a poorly lit church basement to avoid drinking!! In any event, I didn't give myself permission to allow the small bad things to spiral into big worries. I focused on the positive things that happened. That sounds extremely simple - but it's taken this complicated soul some 40 years to be willing to try.

KofC - I like to be busy, too, but I used to use busyness to avoid depression and anxiety. For me, I found that slowly and methodically facing my pain and troubles is teaching me how to peacefully coexist with it. You are doing amazing and on the road to being able to let go and relax. Recovery is a journey.

WWS - Keep doing what you're doing - taking care of yourself. Good work.

Drake - I had a great view of the moon at my house too. Thanks for sharing..... How did things turn out for your neighbor?

Gnik - When I drank every morning was a groggy Monday! Lol! When I stopped drinking I still felt hungover and groggy. When people would talk about how great they felt, I was puzzled. Then I learned it takes some bodies longer than others to heal, and was told to keep holding on. Yesterday, at 7:30 on a Sunday morning, with no exercise or coffee, I felt amazing hauling my kiddo to hockey. This, I realized, must be what the others were talking about all those months ago when I first quit. I'm grateful I hung in there.

Saskia - Your message about letting go is inspirational. I carried it with me all day. Thank you!

I love the discussions surrounding recovery and healing on this thread.