View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Tooshabby

You know one thing I've figured out lately? One of the main reasons alcohol became such a huge problem for me was that after a traumatic event occurred to a close relative, I became incredibly socially anxious. I guess I just lost all my trust in people. So I drank to overcome the social anxiety. But for a long time now I've been pretty fine. I mean, I think most people have some amount of anxiety when they first begin mixing with people they don't know. Not all, sure, but most, I would guess. The thing is, I don't actually need it anymore and, further, I've realised that being drunk actually makes me MORE anxious because I have less control over my faculties (such as they are) and am less able to communicate intelligently. It's like trying to have a conversation with someone after you've just been hit over the head with a baseball bat

Just bought a book today called 'Blackout; Remembering The Things I Drank To Forget' written by a journalist by the name of Sarah Hepola. Reviews say very funny and "honest to the bone". Hope it's a goodie and helps me a long the way. Will let you know the verdict :-)