View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jjj111

Ha, Codejob, it's so true, so many of the older women in my department have that attitude that we should all be like Ginger Rogers! It's a funny thing, but the older men in the department actually seem to be much more forgiving of the fact that motherhood affects the tenure clock. And I totally know what you mean about trying to find a window in your career for childbearing! It's such a relentless rat race until you get tenure. I'm 41, and have put off having kids or even having a relationship because I needed to focus on my career and be prepared to move where work took me. (Of course, dating addicts hasn't helped me to find a lasting relationship, either!) I finally decided when I turned 40 that it was make or break time and started trying to conceive with an anonymous donor. I would have preferred to wait until I got tenure, but was afraid it would be too late! Anyway, I got lucky and am pregnant by a donor at 41, and hopefully the meaningful relationship will come later. But I guess it's especially hurtful to feel unsupported by colleagues about my decision to try for a baby when I have for so long sacrificed my family goals for work. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. You've reminded me that it's not really personal, probably more just about the culture of my workplace.