View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by missylou View Post
I can't seem to shake it, honestly. I have constant anxiety, not eating much, can't clean or take care of myself. And can't give up the drink at night to relieve the symptoms. I have started an anti-depressant, but no relief yet. I am really struggling here, if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so effectively, every time you drink you are counteracting the anti-depressant.

Also, by the time you are a daily drinker, the alcohol actually makes your anxiety worse, not better.

So even though you say that you "cant" give up the drink at night, that is really the only thing that will help. There is no pill that can counteract the effect of your drinking, you have to stop first before anything can be done about your anxiety or depression - it's really as simple as that in concept.

In practice it's not that simple of course, but you may need to consider detox or rehab if you truly can't stop on your own. The anxiety and depression will only get worse as long as you are drinking, so consider taking the necessary measures to stop.