Notices

I feel I am in breakdown mode!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel I am in breakdown mode!

I can't seem to shake it, honestly. I have constant anxiety, not eating much, can't clean or take care of myself. And can't give up the drink at night to relieve the symptoms. I have started an anti-depressant, but no relief yet. I am really struggling here, if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry to hear you are in a bad state. Anti-depressants aren't as effective as they could be if you are drinking.

Have you had any stretches of sobriety?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Missy, the alcohol is the cause, not the solution.

Anti-depressants won't work as intended and could be dangerous mixed with alcohol. Does your doctor know how much you are drinking? Please be careful.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I echo the others, missylou. alcohol and anti-depressants don't mix well.

Have you discussed your drinking with your doctor?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It took a good 4-5 weeks for my AD to start really working. I was so desperate to feel better I would have administered it through my eyeballs if I had to.

I fought AD's my whole life, thinking I could think (and drink) my way out of anxiety and depression. I now know that the alcohol compounded my anxiety to unbearable levels. And it took not days, but weeks for my body and brain to metabolize booze from a one night binge.

My brain was ramped up for WEEKS after a single drinking session.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nels

What did your doctor prescribe? I am on Lexapro, and I echo what others say, alcohol greatly increased anxiety the next day. I know how hard it is because the alcohol seems soothing at the time but think of how you feel when you wake up in the middle of the night anxious and worried about how much you have consumed. Believe me, I have been there MANY times
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been prescribed Zoloft, I asked for some anti-anxiety med but she wouldn't give them to me. I am babysitting my little grandson right now & he just woke up from his morning nap, thanks for the replies. It helps to know I am not alone in this, sadly.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nels

I was on Zoloft for ppd, it should help with your anxiety but takes time.
Go snuggle with your grandson, that's the best medicine!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

its a sick cycle the alcohol relieves it then just makes it worse. the only way out is to stop the booze. easier said then done. but in time things get better.

when i quit I thought it would be easy like quiting cigarettes maybe no harder then that for sure. I had no idea just how deep alcohol had sunken its claws into me. but it was worth it things have improved.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by missylou View Post
I can't seem to shake it, honestly. I have constant anxiety, not eating much, can't clean or take care of myself. And can't give up the drink at night to relieve the symptoms. I have started an anti-depressant, but no relief yet. I am really struggling here, if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so effectively, every time you drink you are counteracting the anti-depressant.

Also, by the time you are a daily drinker, the alcohol actually makes your anxiety worse, not better.

So even though you say that you "cant" give up the drink at night, that is really the only thing that will help. There is no pill that can counteract the effect of your drinking, you have to stop first before anything can be done about your anxiety or depression - it's really as simple as that in concept.

In practice it's not that simple of course, but you may need to consider detox or rehab if you truly can't stop on your own. The anxiety and depression will only get worse as long as you are drinking, so consider taking the necessary measures to stop.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had stretches of sobriety but nothing long term, I had 5 months one time but that was a long time ago. I put myself in rehab in 2012 & drank a week later. This time I just can't get some days together. Here I thought my anxiety problems were do to my life stresses, but it probably is the alcohol. It's been discussed a little with my doctor, like 2 weeks ago & I played it off. She probably knew anyway. I am just soooooo ashamed! If I go to ER when baby is picked up, what will they do? I always handle my problems myself, I never want anyone to know & of course, I will have to go by myself too! Thanks everybody, your words are true for me, I am scared also.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, why are you going to the ER? Are you in serious danger right now?

I would make an appointment with my doctor and be honest about my drinking. You do NOT want to be taking anti-anxiety drugs and drinking, that can suppress your heart rate and respiration and you can die. You have to be honest.

If you do go to the hospital, are you going for detox? Can you afford or does your insurance pay for that?

Have you tried AA? I think you might find the help you need there.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cause I won't get into the Dr probably till next week, I don't know if I am in danger, I can't get this feeling to go away, thought maybe it was withdrawals, I dunno, I really can't think to well right now, that's why I am here I guess.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you are not drinking right now, get to an AA meeting...and talk when they call on you.

Alternately, call someone from your AA list of phone numbers. You need to talk to an alcoholic who can help you face to face.