View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well, if you are ready, willing and able, I would try AA. By that I mean the program. It looks to me like your early experience in AA gave you the impression that the meetings are the program. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Many thousands of alcoholics have recovered through the steps of AA without having to risk their jobs or take time off. It can be done, provided that you are not so physically unwell that some kind of hospitalisation is called for.

AA has a spiritual program of action that seems to fit with any religion or no religion. I remember being turned off by the Lord's prayer at one meeting. I went off in a huff muttering about using a damn Christian prayer in AA. If you asked me then why that was, I couldn't have explained it. I just had this thing about Christians and God but no logical reason for it. I am still active in AA and, though I have never become religious, I have become much more tolerant and that prayer does not bother me today. Such a small thing compared to the life threatening illness that is alcoholism.