Thread: Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LiberatedStorm View Post
Hi Scott. No sir, I haven't. I guess I felt that it would just go away and that I needed to tough it out. Seems like talking to a counselor might not be a bad idea honestly.
I thought the same thing but it never did go away. I had a really bad stretch of anxiety where I was feeling physically ill because of it, I was literally unsteady on my feet. I went to a GP and they immediately prescribed an SSRI. As ironic as it sounds ( as I flooded my brain with alcohol for decades ), I was afraid to take it and went to a therapist instead. I had never been to one so I had no idea what to expect. Turns out it was a great decision, I only go now about once a month or as needed but it's gotten me back on track and i've learned lots of new tools like mindfulness and meditation that really do help.

I think the real key is finding a therapist or counselor that you feel comfortable with. Most clinics have bios and photos of their staff so you can get an idea of what kind of things they specialize in and areas of expertise.

A really great book I read that you might want to try is "10% happier" by Dan Harris. It's a very down to earth story of how he overcame workplace anxiety as a TV reporter and his adventures ( and misadventures ) through therapy and his quest for inner peace.

I won't lie and say I have zero anxiety anymore, I'll probably always have some. But I've learned a lot of new ways to live with it.