Notices

Anxiety

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I'm trying to keep things positive. I am just 2 days away from 150 days sober. That's huge for me. The problem these days is that I still suffer from tremendous anxiety while working. So much so that it leaves me daily wanting to put in my 2 week notice and take a little time for myself to attempt to get mentally right. Have any of you gone through this after getting sober and actually left your job because of anxiety?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My anxiety didn't go away until almost a year, but around six months it was manageable.

I think if you feel you would be employable elsewhere, start looking before you quit. No sense adding no income on top of newly sober, right? Unless you have the money to do so.

I haven't been working for the last year and a half since I got sober, but I certainly didn't want to add any stress.

Are you getting regular exercise? It helps me tremendously.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have had a lot of anxiety issues before I began drinking, while I was drinking and in recovery. Of course, while I was drinking, things were worse. You can learn to manage anxiety. One thing to remember is that simply breathing (belly breaths) really help. When anxiety is an issue, I find my breathing becomes more quick and shallow which worsens the situation. Slowing my breathing creates a physical change. Meditating is also very helpful.

If you are only feel anxiety while at work and it seems to be directly related to work, then maybe it is an idea to think of making a job change.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do have money saved up and a monthly income stream that would barely keep me afloat for a bit. It's complicated though. The saved up money is there to help me move back home across country in the summer of 2016. I realistically only have about 9 more months at this job anyway. It's just a daily struggle to stick it out. My work isn't that great anymore and I would like to leave the job on my own terms, before I could possibly be told to leave.

The anxiety is only present while working though. Feels very unhealthy. Feels like I am stuck in a cycle. I have anxiety because of work. My work suffers and in turn causes more anxiety.

I had a decent exercise routine happening for a while, but it didn't seem to help with the anxiety.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Work can cause a lot of problems for some people, me included.

But in 9 months it sounds like the problem might work itself out. Can you find silver linings in your work? Maybe try yoga or something before you go to work. Or try your exercise routine before work.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your upcoming 150 day anniversary. I know my anxiety lessened tremendously the longer I stayed sober.

Keep pushing through. The one thing I know is drinking will make everything worse.

Great job on 150!
Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I should definitely look into exercising again and also for some other stress reduction techniques. Surely I can stick it out for another 5 to 9 months. It's actually an extremely easy job that has just spiraled out of control because of the anxiety it seems.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I definitely have anxiety issues that are still with me several years into sobriety. I've been seeking some counseling and also using meditation/mindfulness techniques which really seem to help. Have you ever spoken to a counselor about it?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Scott. No sir, I haven't. I guess I felt that it would just go away and that I needed to tough it out. Seems like talking to a counselor might not be a bad idea honestly. It just feels like I am always complaining about my job. I complain to my close friends that know the entire situation and I'm sure by now that they are absolutely sick of it.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I suffer anxiety too getting help via a therapist with self help therapy

Meditation really helps exercise lifts my mood and makes me look & feel awesome

I have read a book Scott recommended me it was a fantastic book I couldn't put down if you ask Scott I'm sure he will reccomend you it too

I can reccomend the book I'm reading now & loving which is wherever you go there you are its by Jon Kabat Zinn

It was because of Scott I got into mindfulness I'm only a beginner if that tho
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by LiberatedStorm View Post
Hi Scott. No sir, I haven't. I guess I felt that it would just go away and that I needed to tough it out. Seems like talking to a counselor might not be a bad idea honestly.
I thought the same thing but it never did go away. I had a really bad stretch of anxiety where I was feeling physically ill because of it, I was literally unsteady on my feet. I went to a GP and they immediately prescribed an SSRI. As ironic as it sounds ( as I flooded my brain with alcohol for decades ), I was afraid to take it and went to a therapist instead. I had never been to one so I had no idea what to expect. Turns out it was a great decision, I only go now about once a month or as needed but it's gotten me back on track and i've learned lots of new tools like mindfulness and meditation that really do help.

I think the real key is finding a therapist or counselor that you feel comfortable with. Most clinics have bios and photos of their staff so you can get an idea of what kind of things they specialize in and areas of expertise.

A really great book I read that you might want to try is "10% happier" by Dan Harris. It's a very down to earth story of how he overcame workplace anxiety as a TV reporter and his adventures ( and misadventures ) through therapy and his quest for inner peace.

I won't lie and say I have zero anxiety anymore, I'll probably always have some. But I've learned a lot of new ways to live with it.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf. I will take a look at that book and also ask Scott about the book he turned you on to.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks as well Scott. I will look in to that book too.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Already found both books on Amazon. Great reviews. Gonna look around more tonight and then place an order for both of those at least.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good ideas on stress here too LS
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html

Congrats on 150 days

D