View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LemonGirl

Originally Posted by HisSecretLife View Post
I was actually hoping by opening this thread that people might read others experiences and come to some realizations themselves.

I am not ready to make any moves in my life towards distancing myself from my spouse. Right now I am focusing completely on improving my emotional stability. When I get that all sorted out, then I will be confronting the issue head on- I will question if this is something I can live with while maintaining my happiness.

Until then, I hope this thread gives others who are ready to make a decision some perspective. I hope when I am ready I can gain some understanding for people's individual experiences.

I'm also curious what the norm is for staying vs leaving. What I expect to see from this thread is that in the majority of cases, the spouse did not quit, and the only solution was to learn to live with it (PLEASE if this is you SHARE how you learned to live with it- what you tell yourself everyday, your coping mechanisms, your mindset, your hobbies and social activities etc) or to leave.

For those who had a spouse that chose the relationship over alcohol- what kind of a person are they? How did you approach the subject of them quitting? What have you changed in your life to better support them?
Oh my sweet SR friend, there is no learning to live with it because it is progressive...... BUT, if you are not ready to leave, then that is OKAY. You have to judge for yourself where your limit is and what you are willing to deal with. But for your sake, and especially your emotional health, please be aware that true healing cannot begin until you get some real distance from the situation at hand, whether that be you or him leaving, or him getting sober.....

Until then, detach, detach, detach.