View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
gleefan

Bfree - You sound happy. It's great to see you getting into the sober groove.

Amp - I have a family wedding this weekend. Last family wedding I went to was a few years ago and I was pretty drunk. Prior to that I hadn't had the opportunity to drink at any of the family events for a while. After the wedding my aunt told my mom how happy she was to see me act "more like myself". My extended family is chock full of alcoholics who applaud each other for getting drunk. Truth be told I don't remember much about that night, except that I felt sick for two days afterwards and hoped and prayed that I didn't talk too much. I also remember that my husband was annoyed with me, as was often the case when I drank at parties.

In any event it occurred to me yesterday that I hadn't made a sober plan for this weekend's wedding. Then when I read what you posted, it reminded me that like you I am in the early days of this sober journey, and a sober plan is in order. Thank you for that!

I'm not worried that I'll trigger, but I need to make sure that I take good care of myself by remembering that I don't need to be a good sport by humoring a bunch of drunk people. I can explain my plan to my husband, tell him that I have no intention of watching him get drunk, and leave if I feel bored or isolated.

Sounds simple, but it's taken me months and months to develop the self assurance to take this approach.