Thread: Laborday
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
brynn
...holds the key

Laborday

Last Labor Day I had a death wish. I distinctly remember Labor Day weekend last year literally trying to drink myself to death...that way it would look like an accident and not a deliberate act. To say I loathed myself is an understatement. My drinking had cost me my marriage and career. On top of that I now had a lengthy booze related criminal record. I had traded my morals, self respect and dignity for alcohol.

I could see no way out. I thought I had to somehow fix my problems BEFORE I could ever quit drinking. Totally impossible. And so the cycle continued until I came across this community last December. And Specifically this forum.

I read freshstarts sticky. Then I read the RR crash course. It clicked. For the first time in years I felt hope. I realized if I stopped drinking my depression and self hatred would start to subside and I would then be able to work on other problems. And for the first time in a very long time I felt empowered. It was such a turning point to realize I already had everything inside me I needed to quit drinking forever.

What a difference a year makes. Last Labor Day I was hopeless, suicidal and depressed. This Labor Day I am empowered, deliberate and confident.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. You never know how your share could literally help save someone's life.
Xoxo