Thread: To much sugar..
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Austin4Wyo

Homer Simpson is our OP's avatar...

If you aren't drinking, then I doubt it's that huge an issue. I was sugar crazy for a while after quitting. I had given up soda a couple years ago prior to joining the Navy, but I could eat five Almond Snickers in a sitting and want more. I'm sure it was a combimation of my body adjusting to the lack of empty calories from the booze, trying to replace the dopamine kick with sugar instead of alcohol, boredom, and other stuff. Once I cleaned up my diet to regulate my nutrition, added in the endorphins from exercise, and adjusted the method of indulging when I do step out of the diet, I had a lot more success. Instead of just a straight candy bar, I typically do trail mix. Instead of a bowl of ice cream, its yogurt with fruit. Baked sweets are a dessert, not a substitute for breakfast.

Part of what often made me return to boozing was how lousy my body felt as it detoxed/recovered. Until I started taking care of it instead of just abstaining, I could be sober but still physically a wreck. It was a major game changer to get my body and mind headed down the right path and reduce the need for physical "relief" that alcohol would temporarily induce followed by further, amplified agony.