Thread: More pills
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AnvilheadII

a year or so ago i went to a naturopath and we did all kinds of tests, i filled out all kinds of forms, and we started on a process to bring about optimal health. this included a lengthy six week detox/elimination diet, where i eliminated just about every damn thing from my diet including gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, corn, pork, beef, chicken, beans/lentils, coffee, citrus fruits, nuts, and nightshade vegetables. and concurrently increasing medical grade food shakes and LOTS of water. and LOTS of supplements (one for thyroid, one for blood sugar, one for this, for that). then you slowly start introducing the elimination foods one at a time, thus the six weeks.

i did lose 20 pounds however it appeared that i had no allergic reactions to any of the elimination foods. i stuck with the program as long as i could and then slowly returned to "normal" eating patterns. the weight slowly came back. as did some of the stomach upsets etc.

recently i decided to try taking a single probiotic pill each day. and had almost immediate positive results. no, the weight hasn't just melted off ( i am 55, female and now officially in menopause), but all the other annoying and sometimes debilitating symptoms are for the most part GONE. i wake up feeling better, i sleep a bit better, my GI tract works like a well tuned machine.

much like the above poster who took wheat out of their diet. physicians and naturopaths often want to throw the kitchen sink at problems and many times those efforts ARE necessary and helpful, so i would never discount them out of hand. but when we end up with this array of meds or supplements for each and every ailment or issue, i think it is incumbent upon us to be mindful and a bit skeptical.

i should also add i have tried everything under the sun to "help" with insomnia.....and not a single thing ever solved the problem. i've learned to just deal with it rather than try to use pharmaceuticals or holistic methods to bring about CHANGE. tea, white noise, advil pm, melatonin, binaural beats, sleep meditations, trazadone, ambien.

don't hesitate to speak with your dr about the medications you are taking and your concerns. good of you to talk it our here as well!