Notices

More pills

Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More pills

I just need to post to get some thoughts out that are brewing in my head. Years ago I had a Dr. who was at the end of his career and in my opinion, had been conditioned to believe that a pill was the answer to everything. I believed him as he was the Dr. At one point, I was taking 6-7 different pills daily. It took me about 3 years to realize that they were ruining (and controlling) my life. I was taking pills for allergies, high BP, high cholesterol, anxiety, sleep, stomach/digestive system and inflammation. I started doing some research and educated myself on these medications. I realized this was destroying my quality of life. I reduced my medications down to two, which were necessary. With my recent events, I have been given all kinds of pills to treat various things, in addition to the two medications I take daily. I saw my surgeon this last week and he prescribed me yet another pill. For some reason I have developed severe inflammation in my joints. So this one is for inflammation, I haven't taken any. I do not want to go back to taking all these pills. I have a general distrust of the pharmaceutical industry. Anyway, just wanted to share.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jeff i suggest speaking with a Dr

Can i ask jeff are you a qualified Dr
Old 08-15-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thomas, I think it's good to be cautious about taking medications and to learn about new medications that are prescribed. But, if you don't trust your dr, maybe you should get a second opinion.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd have a similar view if I was taking loads of different pills for multiple things, but the problem I guess is how then do we know what's essential or not.

Getting a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion on things might be the way forward Jeff!!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to have a very black and white view on meds/drugs but there are some meds I need to take for the quality of life I want.

I'm still cautious but I aim for being more open-minded now - not all drugs (or all Drs) are bad, mmkay?

You have a multitude of choices Jeff - you can hope the problem clears up, or you can research alternative treatments, or you can get a second opinion.

Hope you can solve the problem

D
Old 08-15-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Jeff i suggest speaking with a Dr

Can i ask jeff are you a qualified Dr
Not sure I understand your question? Regarding if I am a qualified Dr.?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I used to have a very black and white view on meds/drugs but there are some meds I need to take for the quality of life I want.

I'm still cautious but I aim for being more open-minded now - not all drugs (or all Drs) are bad, mmkay?

You have a multitude of choices Jeff - you can hope the problem clears up, or you can research alternative treatments, or you can get a second opinion.

Hope you can solve the problem

D
Dee, my meds that I take are high BP med which could save my life, and an anti anxiety drug that could save someone else's life (kidding). All this other stuff that has been introduced to me, has me worried. That's all I meant in the post.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You mentioned you researched and educated yourself on medication

You changed the doses of these meds

What i mean is are you a Dr because if your not i heavily suggest seeing a Dr about this if you are not a Dr
Old 08-15-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
You mentioned you researched and educated yourself on medication

You changed the doses of these meds

What i mean is are you a Dr because if your not i heavily suggest seeing a Dr about this if you are not a Dr
Believe it or not, I have a degree in human biology and a minor in psychology, I was accepted to medical school, but screwed up my life and did not want to take on additional debt. My college roommate and long time friend (20 years) is an orthopedic surgeon and I have discussed with him this very subject. I know this goes against all things SR, but under that white coat and stethoscope is a human being, and they do not know everything. They know what they have been told/educated. I'm not anti doctor, but I am into independent thinking, and Dr.'s often do things they have been instructed to do. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tough call Jeff. I hate pills and have a high distrust of pharmaceutical companies like yourself. I haven't had any medical issues where I had to have them so I haven't had to make any tough decisions. Except I have gotten into disagreements with doctors when I tell them I don't want any painkillers that might be addictive. "They're all addictive" has been the response I've gotten. And then we come to an agreement that I will fill the prescription so that I don't call the doctor at 3 in the morning with a kidney stone destroying me.

I think in this case, I would probably take the pill to reduce inflammation. That doesn't sound like it should be a long term need.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

I've had some really bad experiences with prescribed medications, so I check everything and I make the final decision whether or not to take a drug.

Years ago I was told I had inflammatory bowel disease and was given FIVE prescriptions. I took one of them for a few days and started hallucinating. I stopped the med and quit eating wheat and boom - my stomach has been fine ever since.

Drugs.com is an excellent source of information.

I was given a prescription to Celebrex and took it for a few days. After I started hearing voices I read that it is akin to Vioxx, which was taken off the market due to associated deaths. The day after I quit Celebrex the voices never returned. They were telling me to "Just eat the whole bottle and put yourself out of your misery." I can't say for sure it was the med, but I've never had a voice in my head telling me to kill myself.

I was recently on omeprazole (prilosec) and started getting what looked like cold sores on my nose. I thought it was from pesticides or strawberries or some allergy. I quit taking the omeprazole a few days ago and suddenly my nose is fine. I checked drugs.com and sure enough, blisters, sores, white spots...all listed under side effects. On the positive side, the experience got me eating more organic produce. The sores were itchy, achy, and hideous, so I'm hoping it was the drug and it doesn't come back.

Drugs.com also has an interactions checker. I've been prescribed medications that are listed as "major" hazardous interactions - and this was by the same doctor for the same problem.

Docs are human. Most have never taken a course on nutrition, either. I say do your homework, ask questions, and if your doctor doesn't like being questioned then find another doctor.

By the way, I was recently recommended for a surgery. The doc said there were no risks other than infection. I got online and quickly learned he was either dishonest or he was an idiot.

Don't get me wrong. Good doctors saved my life. Without them I wouldn't be here. I am forever grateful for the quality care I have received, but I sometimes drive six hours round trip to have an appointment with the right doc.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Zero, your story resonates with me. I always check interactions, side effects, etc. I've worked with many doc's in my profession and the vast majority mean well but there aren't enough hours in the day to see patients and keep up with the latest. I had one doc relate to me the contents of a medical journal paper that I had read. He had obviously just skimmed it and got his facts mixed up. I don't blame him and still see him. I also take an active and informed role in my care. The best docs don't mind and if anything they welcome it.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

a year or so ago i went to a naturopath and we did all kinds of tests, i filled out all kinds of forms, and we started on a process to bring about optimal health. this included a lengthy six week detox/elimination diet, where i eliminated just about every damn thing from my diet including gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, corn, pork, beef, chicken, beans/lentils, coffee, citrus fruits, nuts, and nightshade vegetables. and concurrently increasing medical grade food shakes and LOTS of water. and LOTS of supplements (one for thyroid, one for blood sugar, one for this, for that). then you slowly start introducing the elimination foods one at a time, thus the six weeks.

i did lose 20 pounds however it appeared that i had no allergic reactions to any of the elimination foods. i stuck with the program as long as i could and then slowly returned to "normal" eating patterns. the weight slowly came back. as did some of the stomach upsets etc.

recently i decided to try taking a single probiotic pill each day. and had almost immediate positive results. no, the weight hasn't just melted off ( i am 55, female and now officially in menopause), but all the other annoying and sometimes debilitating symptoms are for the most part GONE. i wake up feeling better, i sleep a bit better, my GI tract works like a well tuned machine.

much like the above poster who took wheat out of their diet. physicians and naturopaths often want to throw the kitchen sink at problems and many times those efforts ARE necessary and helpful, so i would never discount them out of hand. but when we end up with this array of meds or supplements for each and every ailment or issue, i think it is incumbent upon us to be mindful and a bit skeptical.

i should also add i have tried everything under the sun to "help" with insomnia.....and not a single thing ever solved the problem. i've learned to just deal with it rather than try to use pharmaceuticals or holistic methods to bring about CHANGE. tea, white noise, advil pm, melatonin, binaural beats, sleep meditations, trazadone, ambien.

don't hesitate to speak with your dr about the medications you are taking and your concerns. good of you to talk it our here as well!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jeff I understand where you are coming from. My husband -- until recently -- was taking a dozen pills a day for heart issues, arthritis and bp. When a new pill was introduced recently he started furiously researching the lot, then he decided to make a "long" consultation with his GP. By this I mean it was scheduled as a double length appointment.

There was a consultation between both of them, discussion and two pills were taken out of the regime. He's doing well.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a rebel. I just stopped taking them. I didn't even wean myself, because I didn't know any better.

I also stopped complaining to my Medical Doctor. It is her job to prescribe medical assistance. Any little complaint I have gets met with a pill. Half the stuff I felt worse taking and quit them soon after starting. I bet if I told a surgeon, they'd have an operation for it. Chiro has an adjustment for it. . .

I guess some stuff is necessary. Maybe. I don't know. I'm on an anti-pill kick for the last five years. It's working so far.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Marcher offers excellent advice, Jeff.

Schedule a long consultation with your physician and discuss your concerns. Taking yourself on or off medication is not a good idea.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm a rebel. I just stopped taking them. I didn't even wean myself, because I didn't know any better.

I also stopped complaining to my Medical Doctor. It is her job to prescribe medical assistance. Any little complaint I have gets met with a pill. Half the stuff I felt worse taking and quit them soon after starting. I bet if I told a surgeon, they'd have an operation for it. Chiro has an adjustment for it. . .

I guess some stuff is necessary. Maybe. I don't know. I'm on an anti-pill kick for the last five years. It's working so far.
Bingo. I have done the same. That is why I went from six down to two. But now the pill count is growing and I just am not comfortable with it. My plan is to taper from pain meds, put the Valium in the closet, stop taking the bowel movement pills and take this new medication until my inflammation goes away.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good post!

I have always been interested in pharmaceuticals. Don't know why. All the benzos, bp drugs, heart meds, anti depressants etc. I like to know how things work.

I also like to know how they work in my body. I think everyone is different so things won't work the same for all. I know some people who get totally amped on benadryl but it's the main ingredient in Tylenol PM.

I would go for the second opinion.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thought you were on an anti depressant also Jeff? Yeah I'm in the same position, no quality of life at all. (and I'm not depressed)

I've got a massive dilemma with my insomnia. It's no way to live but I have that same general mistrust of big pharma at this stage.

Plus taking a pill or 3 that have the same side effect's as the condition that I am suffering just seems totally irresponsible to me.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm down to one pill a day for BP. I was on several for various things, BP, anxiety, GERD, etc.. most subsided when I got clean.
When I told the doc I stopped taking them, He just said, well if you don't think you need them, ok. The med for the obvious life threatening thing he kept me on.
I now read up on anything prescribed and ask questions when I have concerns.
I do think that lots of meds such as SSRI's are way over prescribed. I guess the key is staying educated on any substances you are putting your body.
That being said you should always consult your doctor before stopping a medication. Some meds you need to taper off or nasty things can happen. Like everything else in my life, I found out the hard way.