Thread: More pills
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

I've had some really bad experiences with prescribed medications, so I check everything and I make the final decision whether or not to take a drug.

Years ago I was told I had inflammatory bowel disease and was given FIVE prescriptions. I took one of them for a few days and started hallucinating. I stopped the med and quit eating wheat and boom - my stomach has been fine ever since.

Drugs.com is an excellent source of information.

I was given a prescription to Celebrex and took it for a few days. After I started hearing voices I read that it is akin to Vioxx, which was taken off the market due to associated deaths. The day after I quit Celebrex the voices never returned. They were telling me to "Just eat the whole bottle and put yourself out of your misery." I can't say for sure it was the med, but I've never had a voice in my head telling me to kill myself.

I was recently on omeprazole (prilosec) and started getting what looked like cold sores on my nose. I thought it was from pesticides or strawberries or some allergy. I quit taking the omeprazole a few days ago and suddenly my nose is fine. I checked drugs.com and sure enough, blisters, sores, white spots...all listed under side effects. On the positive side, the experience got me eating more organic produce. The sores were itchy, achy, and hideous, so I'm hoping it was the drug and it doesn't come back.

Drugs.com also has an interactions checker. I've been prescribed medications that are listed as "major" hazardous interactions - and this was by the same doctor for the same problem.

Docs are human. Most have never taken a course on nutrition, either. I say do your homework, ask questions, and if your doctor doesn't like being questioned then find another doctor.

By the way, I was recently recommended for a surgery. The doc said there were no risks other than infection. I got online and quickly learned he was either dishonest or he was an idiot.

Don't get me wrong. Good doctors saved my life. Without them I wouldn't be here. I am forever grateful for the quality care I have received, but I sometimes drive six hours round trip to have an appointment with the right doc.