View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello Rio, and pleased to "meet" you.

Originally Posted by Rio97 View Post
Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have intruded on your thread and should've started my own. My apologies.
No worries, it's a very small forum and we're very casual. Feel free to start your own thread, or not.

.... Much of my drinking was self-medicating. Like Bookmaven said, AA seems lacking in this department, ....
Well yeah, their primary purpose is the chemical addiction. That's why we started ACoA, so we could have our own program with our own primary purpose.

.... This ACOA thing seems like it would help me, although as a male, that's hard for me to admit. Soldier on, soldier. Right? ....
That's one of the "brain washings" I had to overcome in my own recovery. Women are told they have no brain and us guys are told we have no feelings. No wonder society is such a mess.

I have learned that there is no shame in admiting ignorance, and requesting training in a particualr skill. Dealing with life, and all the ***** that it throws at us, is a learned skill. I was born with only a handful of reflexes, everything else I know I learned along the way. It just so happens that my parents were completely unqalified to raise a child, so now I have to "make up" the bad training in ACoA.

In my ACoA group we have a bunch of guys. One of them is a huge construction worker who comes to work with his hard hat, gloves and pick up truck. Another guy is a pro rugby player, we have a couple of cops, a couple of bad-boy bikers. Over-the-top macho guys, who are just regular people on the inside.

The way I see it, "soldier on" is for the battlefield. ACoA is where we fix all the "injuries" done to us as children.

Mike