Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by SaviorNomad View Post
My problem is less of a traditional drinking problem and more of a distaste for the overall effects of the drug.

It's like when you buy something that looks really delicious from the supermarket only to find that when you eat it that it gives you the *****.
Then, a few months later, you go and do the same thing because you're allured by the appearance and have forgotten just how it bothered you. You know it bothers you, but you don't remember how much.

The allure for me is chemical in nature, I believe. I've always been a dopamine junkie. I want to feel as good as I possibly can.
Alcohol is a reasonable fix for this, but when considering the effects it has the next few days, it's a net loss.
Completely not worth it when the objective is optimization.

Still, it's easy to be lured in by its appeal when the effects of the next days have been forgotten.

As can be deduced from this, I don't drink a lot for obvious reasons, but when I do I continue to drink until I feel great, but ****** the next day.
Hey,

Actually, the way your describe your drinking isn't different than a traditional drinking problem at all. You've given us a textbook definition.

About the supermarket and food example of it giving someone the *****, I don't think really anyone would go back and buy it again. And they certainly wouldn't do it the next day. I'd guess by the second or third time eating it, they'd never eat it again.

That's where alcohol is different. It's an addiction. It's self-destructive. We keep going back to it no matter the consequences. I've read stories on here of people who get out of jail for a DUI and stop at the liquor store on the way home. I've also read stories of people who leave rehab and drink the next day. Addiction is totally illogical and we can't think our way out of it.

I would tell a friend this, so I'll go ahead and say it. I think you might be overthinking this whole thing. Alcohol causes you problems and makes you feel like dirt the next day so you need to stop. I would also tell this to a friend: Your drinking problem is not new or different or unique. It sounds a lot like my own before I got sober.

I reread your post and I think you're at a good place to stop. I think you've given a great analysis and it's great to think about it thoroughly.

I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.