Thread: I can do today
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JimC60

Retread,

This is second hand from my daughter the heroin addict; but I have heard it from others, and to a certain, small extent, it has worked for me.

"A craving only lasts for 10 to 15 minutes -- so when it hits, if you can just hold on for that short period of time, the craving will subside and you will be OK again."

I smoked cigarettes for almost 45 years - seriously for 40+. I had emergency hernia surgery at the end of May -- as I laid on a gurney waiting to go in for surgery, about all I could think of was "Damn, when I wake up, I'm going to be dying for a smoke and you can't even smoke on the grounds of this hospital!"

Surgery was completed at about 10:00 pm - I basically slept through the night. The next morning when I woke up - I did not have a big desire to smoke -- Hmmm, I thought - wonder how long this will last? In the mean time I am going for it (quitting).

I am a little better than 2 months tobacco free - I don't think that quitting tobacco is as hard as quitting alcohol or drugs, just because there is no physical addiction or withdrawal - no one ever died from quitting tobacco; but the cravings are still very real.

I experience what could be called a craving and -- so far -- if I keep myself busy for that 10 or 15 minutes, the craving subsides and I am OK for at least a couple of hours if not longer.

Enjoy your guests and be the perfect hostess! If they are really your friends - they will understand and not think you are acting strange by not joining them for a drink.

Jim