Notices

I can do today

Old 08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can do today

We have friends coming over this afternoon. On a Saturday, early afternoon is usually when I start drinking. Ok, sometimes late morning. I'm always watching the clock, waiting for noon.

Our friends are coming at 1:00, so it's prime time for me to be starting my drinking day. Luckily, we met these friends during one of my sober stretches and so they know I am an alcoholic. It will not be a shock to them that I am not going to join them in the drink today.

My plan for the day is to keep my resolve firm, to have plenty of lemonade at the ready so that I always have something to put in my own glass, and to stay busy being hostess and not guest, if you know what I mean. Clearing plates, taking care of everyone-- that keeps me busy and I won't be thinking so much about settling in for a drink. In fact, entertaining is generally one of the times I'd drink the least, so I don't think this is going to be too bad.

I will stay close to SR though, have my phone with app at the ready if I need you guys. Fully intend to come back here with a sober report when all is over. Thanks for keeping me accountable.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy your afternoon.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wishing you the best. Post once a minute if you need to.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan.

I would add that if you become overwhelmed (as is common in early sobriety) - excuse yourself and go to your bedroom or go outside for five minutes and take several deep breaths until you feel calmer.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending good vibes your way. You've got this.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a fab afternoon - good you got a plan of action! Sneak back here if you need too.... ps had to laugh at waiting for midday on a Saturday for your first drink.... I did that too!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Retread,

This is second hand from my daughter the heroin addict; but I have heard it from others, and to a certain, small extent, it has worked for me.

"A craving only lasts for 10 to 15 minutes -- so when it hits, if you can just hold on for that short period of time, the craving will subside and you will be OK again."

I smoked cigarettes for almost 45 years - seriously for 40+. I had emergency hernia surgery at the end of May -- as I laid on a gurney waiting to go in for surgery, about all I could think of was "Damn, when I wake up, I'm going to be dying for a smoke and you can't even smoke on the grounds of this hospital!"

Surgery was completed at about 10:00 pm - I basically slept through the night. The next morning when I woke up - I did not have a big desire to smoke -- Hmmm, I thought - wonder how long this will last? In the mean time I am going for it (quitting).

I am a little better than 2 months tobacco free - I don't think that quitting tobacco is as hard as quitting alcohol or drugs, just because there is no physical addiction or withdrawal - no one ever died from quitting tobacco; but the cravings are still very real.

I experience what could be called a craving and -- so far -- if I keep myself busy for that 10 or 15 minutes, the craving subsides and I am OK for at least a couple of hours if not longer.

Enjoy your guests and be the perfect hostess! If they are really your friends - they will understand and not think you are acting strange by not joining them for a drink.

Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Youl do great retread
Old 08-08-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi retread, very smart to have a plan in place. Might be a good idea to be logged in to SR just in case an "emergency post" is required. But at the end of the day, you don't need to drink alcohol right? I mean, seriously you don't need it. It is very likely NOTHING positive will result in drinking correct? Wishing you the very best.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang strong retread. I'm sure everything's going well. Keep us posted.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everything went great! I told them as soon as they got there that I would not be joining them for wine. They all had a glass and enjoyed lemonade and water with me for the rest of the day, hubby did, too. We have a swimming pool in our yard and they brought their dogs over so everyone had a great time in the water. I feel good about not giving in to my demons and the best part is that I'm so tired now I have no energy for cravings. Going to take a nap. Thanks for having my back, SR.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so excited for you! Well done
Old 08-08-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Great job!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On the smoking post... I know many alcoholics who've found it very hard to stop smoking... you have done the right thing stopping... hopefully your friends who realise what you are going through... will decide it's the right thing to do to not drink in front of you
Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How lovely that they only had a little to drink so you could still enjoy their company. Those friends sound like keepers
Old 08-09-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
How lovely that they only had a little to drink so you could still enjoy their company. Those friends sound like keepers
They are. Truly, my husband and I are blessed with some wonderful friends.