View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
calla12

I'm about to enter the 4th year of my BScN and I'm so happy you posted this because something like this happening to me is probably my biggest fear, but I'm glad I'm not alone. I've had many preceptors tell me that I'm very professional, caring, etc., and all I can think is "if only you knew how drunk I'm going to get when I get home". For the non-nurses out there, we do 12 hour unpaid shifts in the hospital while we're in school. At the end of the day, my peers would talk about going home and sleeping, but all I wanted to do was drink, even though I would never admit it, obviously. I believe that we hold a special privilege and responsibility in being with others while they're experiencing their most vulnerable/painful moments, which is a wonderful thing to be a part of, but it can take an emotional toll on us as well. I've known many healthcare professionals that struggle with substances and I think this is probably a contributing factor. Professional counselling has helped me bunches! I hope that you find strength and wellness soon, and post an update with your progress!