Notices

any nurses out there?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any nurses out there?

Hello,
I'm an RN who's license is currently suspended due to alcoholism. I had 93 days sober in 2013 but have been drinking since. I need a fresh and sober start, im trying to get my lisence back. Any advice, also I need a sponsor! Any help from anyone is welcome and appreciated!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im not a nurse but i want to welcome you to SR youl find tons of support here
Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR afrey, sorry to hear of your license situation. You'll find a lot of support here and a lot of information about the many ways people go about getting and staying sober.

What were you doing during your 93 days in 2013 that kept you sober? Perhaps you can use that as a building block to put together a new plan?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome afrey!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on unemployment, had all the time in the world to attend AA and workout at the gym. Now I'm feel embarrassed to go back to my home group. I know I shouldn't feel that way, they're a great group of people. I need to get back to meetings and the gym but for some reason I'm having a hard time convinceing myself to just do it!
Frustrated
Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome afrey... you will get tons of support here. Is there someone you could phone from your homegroup to reconnect with and maybe go together... it would be a great start.

Stick around here... read, read, and post when you can, it does work.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm about to enter the 4th year of my BScN and I'm so happy you posted this because something like this happening to me is probably my biggest fear, but I'm glad I'm not alone. I've had many preceptors tell me that I'm very professional, caring, etc., and all I can think is "if only you knew how drunk I'm going to get when I get home". For the non-nurses out there, we do 12 hour unpaid shifts in the hospital while we're in school. At the end of the day, my peers would talk about going home and sleeping, but all I wanted to do was drink, even though I would never admit it, obviously. I believe that we hold a special privilege and responsibility in being with others while they're experiencing their most vulnerable/painful moments, which is a wonderful thing to be a part of, but it can take an emotional toll on us as well. I've known many healthcare professionals that struggle with substances and I think this is probably a contributing factor. Professional counselling has helped me bunches! I hope that you find strength and wellness soon, and post an update with your progress!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Afrey!!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not unusual that it gets harder to get back to recovery after a relapse. I'm sorry that you've lost your license, but hopefully you can get it back. If you do go to AA, you should be able to find a sponsor there. I hope you keep reading and posting.