View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Lunar ~

Lovin' that Vacuum Tube Talk! Grew up on them, due to having my first 'Ham' Radio Station at age 12. Morse Code Key only. A veritable Purist. Tube Guitar Amps soon thereafter...

In the Tokyo Electronics District of 'Akhibara', minute lil Booth-based Businesses sell Tubes, and only Tubes. Hand-picked matched pairs. I'll never forget this immaculate Westinghouse 300B Tube Picture where the Tube was 'laid out' on red Velvet. A Pic composition identical to the original 'Playboy' Pic of Marilyn Monroe in Hefner's first monthly Mag. I was crackin' up at the similarity.

Japan never hopped over to Power Transistors, etc.. They liked the 'warmth' of Tube Audio.

Here's a niche Link to Tube Amp Companies. They serious. Insane prices for some of this Hand-crafted stuff...

- List Of Small Tube Amplifier Companies -

Here's a Pic of a Shop in Akihibara. While not a Vacuum Tube Shop, it shows their tight quarters. Of note is the lil Swastika hanging from the Ceiling. That Symbol long predates Hitler's co-opting of it. It means 'Your Standing Place', or their equivalent of 'You Are Here'. The first time I saw this on a Train Platform Map, I was stunned! Then, I got the back story on that ancient Symbol; an innocuous one, as it turns out.