View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
LBrain

just an FYI: That Amish Mafia show is a total fabrication. It's as true as the stories on Supernatural - even less so maybe. And all of the TLC/Discovery Channel productions surrounding Amish culture and society are a complete farce.

Now, that being said, I am surrounded by Mennonite peoples of different degrees. Yes, the black bumper types. I rarely drive toward Kutztown and not see people riding bicycles down the road. In the other direction toward Lancaster, there is a Mennonite "superstore" for clothes, garden supplies and such along with a food market. Great stuff at reasonable prices and just about everyone working there wears a bonnet or straw hat.
The Amish on the other hand are still very much stay out of modern society. It is only because of state laws you will see some 'buggies' with a battery operated light. Just a blinking "hey I'm here" light.

They do travel by bus or train to Philly to operate in the markets. And as a matter of necessity there are some who actually do use a phone or cell phone. But it is the exception rather than the rule.

The true Amish are for real. And they couldn't care less about what we "English" think. And that movie with Harrison Ford? Another literary masterpiece of total make it up as you go about the Amish.
There ain't an Amish gal that hot nowhere.