View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Austin4Wyo

Its my experience that there are more people in recovery than your realize, even in rural living. I came from a town of 1,500 people on eastern Wyoming, fifty miles from everywhere. I was also faced with meetings an hour away and what I felt was a culture of drinking.

Some things I found when I became desperate enough to seek help (which was a significantly worse spot than you're describing, by my metrics anyway):

1) Not "everyone" drinks, and certainly not everyone drinks the way I do. Everyone I chose to drink with did, but I was making the choice to associate with that level of consumption.

2) When I finally bucked up and went to a meeting, I found out just how many people were in recovery, even in a town where I thought everyone knew everyone's business.

3) Distance, "everyone" drinking, lack of support, etc were all excuses to keep me soused without having to find a proper solution.

4) If I was making excuses to stay in my addiction, I hadn't gone through enough pain to no longer make stopping/seeking recovery worth it.

I understand where you're coming from, but I also feel there's a lot of victimstance and minimization in your statements. "I take responsibility, I have ambition, etc. Do you? It seems your responsibility goes out the window to hide your drinking this way, and your ambition is to quit so long as its not too uncomfortable.

Are you DESPERATE to stop drinking? Does the pain outweigh the lying and deceit? If not, my friend, you're only fooling yourself.

If you're at that point, though, you'll find a way to those meetings or ask the right questions to find someone safe to confide in. Your significant other might be a good start if your relationship is healthy and she is supportive. Otherwise, your local phone book should have some anonymous numbers to call, which could refer you.

Remember, NO ONE can begin your recovery except YOU.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior