Thread: red wine
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Toni, I totally get why most posters suggest that you find a new doctor who understands. However, I am also very familiar with the (lack of) training aspect EndGame mentioned above and how that can lead to not the best choices of treatment in specific cases. This, plus the fact that even if a professional receives the best and most extensive training in a particular area, if they never had first hand experience with the issue, it will always limit their understanding. (Well this is why peer support works so well.) Obviously, this is especially true for mental health issues where any visible sign and physical symptom is far from the whole picture of what goes on internally. And often finding a good doctor or other helping professional is not the easiest thing... So my suggestion is that if you are otherwise satisfied with this doctor and how he treats you, maybe educate him in more depth about your alcoholism and how it works for you.

A somewhat related experience for me was with my therapist. Without going into details, he has extensive experience with addicts but I had to talk with him lots about my own personal pattern, fears and dangers. Because originally he suggested to me an approach to work through my obsessive tendencies using what he then perceived as safe(er) approach (than a substance problem), via addressing my obsessiveness using our therapeutic relationship. And I totally got this and agreed with him, but needed to give him lots of information about myself to adjust the method in such a way that would be truly safe for me at that particular time. Because some things are very strongly and intimately intertwined in my mind now, based on my history, and what might seem like a harmless little thing to experiment with for one person might trigger a harmful domino effect for me. But no way I would have wanted to run away or abandon him because in so many ways I think he is as good for me as it can probably get at least in the current phase of my life and in the context of stuff I most want to work on. So much prefer to provide as much information as possible to get the most out of the treatment. It's all about interaction, discussing everything, including their treatment suggestions. I do similar things with physicians all the time.