View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marcus

That is great to hear. Always nice to hear positive stories. Maintenance meds have their place for sure, but I think many people don't realize what they are getting themselves into. I think the times I went on Sub or Methadone I was at the end of my rope and feeling so depressed and hating life so much anything sounded better than what I was doing. They can help you get stable, but eventually for me at least I just wanted to know what it felt like to be truly clean. There are a lot of horror stories out there and I think it feeds into our fears.

That is a pretty high dose to come off of so it definitely should give people out there hope that it can be done. Change can be hard, but it also can be the most rewarding thing in life. I got off Methadone over 3 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone told me. Like you said mindset can make all the difference.

For me addiction is rooted in my thinking and the way I process things and view my life and the outside world. In the end it wasn't the substance that was the real problem - it was me. If I can take each day as it comes and stay in the moment and cut off the negative / obsessive thinking before it gets a hold of me I can actually feel peaceful and enjoy life. Actually learn to like myself a bit and no problem is too great that using won't make worse. It takes time, but with over 3 years clean today seems to be working.

Anyway enough of my yapping. Congrats on getting off subs and moving forward. Keep up the good work!