View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Gilmer

I was very laissez-faire with my kids. I gave them a chance to do sports, but didn't force them. My girls went back for a couple seasons, but my boys weren't interested at all. The only one who was ever interested in any other extra-curriculars was my youngest, who was nuts over Marching Band. The interest was all his, so I supported it.

My second son was special needs for a couple of things. It was suggested that I take him to a special eye doctor for coordination and focusing exercises. I did. When it was time for parent/staff assessment meetings, I always made sure I thanked them sincerely for the excellent work they put in and the progress I'd seen. They in turn thanked me, because I listened to them as experts in the field, and took their recommendations to heart.

They said it was a pleasure to deal with me and my polite son (as opposed to the spoiled, angry ******* who constantly ignored all advice, expected rabbits to be pulled from hats, then threw tantrums when they didn't get their way).

I have little patience with helicopter parents, especially the kind who view their children as status symbols.

I've vented about it before. Usually I don't like to express strong opinions on the board, but I really think children ought to have a little breathing room to find out who they are.