Thread: Family Illness
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Don, I don't know much about your wife, and presume you're talking behaviour, not drinking. Has she ever gone to Al-Anon or any meetings about codependency?

The thing is, addicts and codependents really aren't very different, except the addict or alcoholic uses a substance to kill their pain. My home fellowship is CoDA (Codependents Anonymous) and the meeting I used to go to with about 40 people, had about 20 member who also belonged to AA or NA, but were there to address their own codependent issues.

Codependency isn't about loving a person who abuses substance, it is about much the same "pain" as addicts and alcoholics speak of, and I'm just taking a wild guess that this could be her problem.

There is a very good book called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie that might be worth reading for both of you. It is written so very well and describes what codependency is, why we are like we are, and what we can do to recover. If she IS codependent, she will quickly recognize herself in there. I know when I read it I wanted royalties because it was my life described perfectly.

And, you already know, if she isn't willing to look into getting help for herself, there's not much you can do to change her.

Hugs
Ann