View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

I had to stay sober long enough for my alcohol soaked brain to really evaluate what my condition truly was. Around six months the fog cleared and I could think straight. I had no shot trying to evaluate anything with the same brain that told me it was ok to drink.

My sponsor spoke of a gent he met one time in the rooms who had a very high, squeaky voice. Kind of a nasal sound, but also sort of like the helium balloon voice just not as cartoonie.......

He talked like that because at some point when he crossed the line and did not have immediate access to alcohol he drank hairspray. He did not drink much of it and it lasted a good, long time from what I was told.

Of course from the Big Book - whether you subscribe or not, I think this is useful to some......

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.

I love this part as well - so me Ha!

Once in a while he may tell you the truth. And the truth, strange to say, is usually that he has no more idea why he took that first drink than you have. Some drinkers have excuses with which they are satisfied part of the time. But in their hearts they really do not know why they do it.