View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nyala

By pursuing this path of sobriety, am I condemned to a life without inspiration, subject to a dull existence that forever reflects back on 'happier times'

Short answer. No.

I used to think that. In fact I still do, but I recognise the thought now as one of the techniques used by my AV to trip me.

And this time I'm carefully collecting evidence that this is not the case.

It is true that I'm having fewer 'true creative' moments than I was when I was drinking. ( They either came at some point in my drunkenness or in the golden hour between waking hungover and depression setting in ).

But when they do come ( and they still do come - I take them seriously and make a plan to actually DO something with them )

In the meantime I am using the time gained from being sober - (and what a ton of time that is hey people ? ) - to practise my art - get better, improve technique, craft ideas into proto-projects, heck even what might be called 'structured play'.

This is a short period in my life - the early stages of recovery - that I will look back on and see that this was the period where took the first steps to creating something meaningful and worthwhile.

IMO it is impossible to do this alone. I am so please I found SR. Stay close and post often. You will do this.

Go well...