Thread: Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
squirrelly77
Little Girl Found

Hey there...glad to see you decided to make it back. Yeah, it can be pretty scary trying to decide what to do in this situation. If you're looking for straight-up detox without committing to a longer-term stay, you can go to the hospital. That's where I always checked myself in. They give you fluids and liquid vitamins for water and nutrient replenishment (which you can pretty much do at home) but they also give you meds (mainly Ativan) to help with anxiety and shakiness. They will also have a social worker talk with you concerning options for longer-term programs such inpatient or intensive outpatient rehab, if you decide you want to go that route.
I hadn't gotten as bad as having Delerium Tremens (hallucination, convulsions, etc) when I was detoxing, but I definitely recommend the hospital before trying to do it at home.
Oh yeah, and from my experience, if you go to the ER they get you in right away and they're super nice. I freaked out before I finally got up the nerve to admit to them my problem and why I was there...but I got a totally supportive response.

Take care,
Danielle