Notices

Advice Needed

Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Needed

I was here once before trying to quit on my own but it has not worked out. My drinking has escelated to a very frightening level due to a traumatizing experience and my own choice to continue using. When I stop using now, I begin shaking uncontrollably to the point that I cannot eat, not that I really have an appetite anymore anyway. I have decided to try a detox program but do not know how to locate one or what the procedure is for being admitted.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Glad you are here!

I did mot use a detox program..I had no idea what they even were. Duh! Other SR members will be along soon to give you their input.

I think you should have an honest talk with your doctor.
There are meds available to ease withdrawal symptoms.

We also have a sticky on the Alcoholism forum with our personal experiences.

Take care..
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Hi Curia and welcome!!!!!!
I would say to look up detox or addiction services in your area phone book. Good for you for reaching out!! I couldn't have done it on my own either. This is the first day of the rest of your life, don't drink today, just for today. Concern yourself with tomorrow when it comes.
Keep coming back!!
\\//Wendy
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there...glad to see you decided to make it back. Yeah, it can be pretty scary trying to decide what to do in this situation. If you're looking for straight-up detox without committing to a longer-term stay, you can go to the hospital. That's where I always checked myself in. They give you fluids and liquid vitamins for water and nutrient replenishment (which you can pretty much do at home) but they also give you meds (mainly Ativan) to help with anxiety and shakiness. They will also have a social worker talk with you concerning options for longer-term programs such inpatient or intensive outpatient rehab, if you decide you want to go that route.
I hadn't gotten as bad as having Delerium Tremens (hallucination, convulsions, etc) when I was detoxing, but I definitely recommend the hospital before trying to do it at home.
Oh yeah, and from my experience, if you go to the ER they get you in right away and they're super nice. I freaked out before I finally got up the nerve to admit to them my problem and why I was there...but I got a totally supportive response.

Take care,
Danielle
Old 06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there Curia! Congrats on heading the right direction in beginning sobriety. It's a road worth taking. You are worth alot more than the drugs and alcohol make us...
Checking into a detox, and possibly a treatment center is a VERY good choice. It is SO difficult to go through without one. It can also be very dangerous to do it on your own.
Call your local HOSPITAL, they should be able to direct you to a detox. You can alos call your local CRISIS HOTLINE. They will not call the police if you are not suicidal. That is the experience I have had with them. I have called them just to have someone to talk to. They always know where to direct you, if they don't know off hand, they will find out for you. Don't hesitate to call them, that is what hey are there for. I think you could maybe get the number to a crisis hotline through your local hospital. Please call, you will be happ yyou did. A treatment center is a VERY good place to begin recovery. You DO NOT need to do this alone.
Please keep us informed about how you are doing, someone is always here!! We all care. Love, Becky
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Don't worry about the procedure for getting in to a detox. Don't worry about tomorrow, or anything else, just get your self some help TODAY by checking out a hospital. You will be happy you did.. Just wanted to add that. Love, Becky
Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't stop on my own, Curia. I went into a treatment centre and I was kept busy and given a good chance of recovery by learning of the 12-steps, and also being introduced to NA & AA.

Not everybody needs treatment centres though, detox's maybe. I have met plenty of people who have gone into AA or NA and never used again. You can find your local helpline number in your 'phone book, and you can be met by someone from the fellowships and taken to a meeting.

I could not do it on my own, asking for help is an excellent start. Good to see you here.

David
Old 06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks you for the information. The brief hospital stay to detox is exactly what I need. Something that will last for as long as the dangerous physical symptoms. Do you know how much it would cost? No insurance but have got some savings.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm glad you came back. I'd offer this suggestion, detox facilities can be very expensive, and without an insurance program to cover it it can be difficult. Most cities have the Salvation Army. They offer a wonderful comprehensive program that is free or you can pay what you can without wiping out your savings. I've heard nothing but good things about them and would suggest giving them a call. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I checked the SA website and they want you to commit to a 6-month, live-in program.. Kind of extreme. Not that it doesn't make sense, it just isn't compatible with my situation.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

curia.. I have deliriums when I detox.. I have gone into seizures twice after not drinking after serious binges. I have used our community hospital twice. They gave me enough valium or anti seizure meds like Ativan for 3 days. I'm not a doctor but one occasion they did give me benadryl and it did help me with the shakes

You know it's always so crazy that us drunks/addicts always manage to find the money for a bottle or a bag but never have money to help ourselves get/stay clean!!
I sincerely hope you can scrape up the money to get under a doctor's care because detox can be dangerous!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Curia--the cost depends on the hospital. I've been to three different hospitals for detox. Two were around $1400, but the other one was $4000!!!! And, it was for the same extact thing, and time period (about 24 hours). From what you wrote, I'd guess that you wouldn't need to be in a hospital for over 48 hours. Unfortunately, hospitals don't have up-front pricing for ER stays, so it's not like you can shop around. But, from my limited experience....I'd say it would probably cost you about $1500.

Good luck!

Danielle
Old 06-06-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I have called two local ERs now to ask if they do detox. Both have said no. On this board it is made to seem so easy but I am finding that it is actually not easy at all and am becoming discouraged. Despite the risk I am thinking about just stopping and hoping for the best.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Okay, I re-read the thread and decided to follow angelgirl's advice and call a crisis hotline. I feel a little off using a "crisis" hotline as a referal service, but it is worth a shot. The worst that can happen is they will say they don't know.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm not sure if you've heard the saying "do whatever it takes"? If I was in your shoe's I'd march myself to the nearest hospital. Tell them you going through severe withdrawal, feeling like your about to die, you can't bear it, can't handle it, you need help and they have to see you. They will admit you for a few days to detox and get you through the worst of it. Physicians know that alcohol detox is very dangerous and won't risk a malpractice suite by turning you away.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by curia804
I checked the SA website and they want you to commit to a 6-month, live-in program.. Kind of extreme. Not that it doesn't make sense, it just isn't compatible with my situation.
Just a question, and I am sorry if it comes off harsh, but is continuing to drink until you end up in jail, an institution, or dead compatible with your situation? Suffering from shakes, loss of appetite, and possibly dangerous detox are extreme. Just something to think about.

I want you to get well, Curia. I can tell you realize how serious this is. Just so you know, even if you commited to a six-month program, if you wanted to leave they wouldn't be able to force you to stay.

Keep posting and let us know how it is going.

Hugs--
Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Chy. that is exactly what I might end up doing. Part of the problem is that even though I am a drunk I am very calm and polite whenever I talk to people. They assume nothing is wrong because they see that but not me sitting at home shaking and puking my guts out. If I can't find help soon I am just going to take your advice and go to the ER and tell them I might die.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Last update for a while. Angelgirl was right. The YMCA crisis hotline has specific instructuions for geting into detox. If you are in Virginia seeking help for your addiction, contact them. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

I don't condone being decietful or lieing, but like I said, do whatever it takes, go in like a raving lunatic, tell them you have dt's you skin is crawling, you've fainted 3 times today, your heart is pounding out of your chest, you can't stop puking, can't hold anything down, can't breath, anything sweety, this is you life, they'll take you in.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey, sorry to keep bothering you folks. I have decided to just home detox. I would like any kind of practical tips anyone might have. I've got plenty of motivation, I just need suggestions about how to be safe. Foods to eat, what to do when I have tremors, etc.