Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Sounds like your 'Ism' looking for something, anything to sooth it. Recovery tends to come when we start to find and practice new (internal) strategies for soothing our angsts rather than reaching for some kind of external soother (in the form of , for example, nicotine; caffeine, alcohol; sugar; sex; relationships, gambling; illegal or legal drugs).
I'll figure it out. I was really more curious as to the "why" than anything else. And maybe others can relate to and benefit from my experience Throwing away my two remaining crutches (cigarettes and bad food) is probably what put me in this state.

I really don't have any desire to drink, and not much desire to smoke, but food . . . well. I will have to spend some time preparing healthy meals and snacks to have on standby whenever I'm hungry. If I don't have something healthy and reasonably tasty ready to go, I will almost certainly reach for the quickest (and usually unhealthiest) food source available. I love to eat, and I've never had a weight problem, so I could always eat what I wanted. But now that I have T2 diabetes, eating poorly will literally kill me. Finding foods that are both enjoyable and healthy can be tricky. I've been down this road before, and like drinking, relapsing into old habits is very easy to do. I thought driving by my local watering holes was hard, but passing up pizza shops and fast food joints is equally as hard.

Thankfully, I can still drink coffee