Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I Have Cravings, but I'm not Sure what I'm Craving

Notices

Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have low-level cravings, but I'm not sure what I'm craving? It's very odd. I've quit drinking, I've recently quit smoking, and I'm in the process of regaining control of my blood sugar levels by changing my diet. Now I have low-level cravings for "something" at various times throughout the day. When I attempt to identify the substance I'm craving, I'm usually unable to do so.

For example, the thought of having a beer or a cigarette, usually doesn't indicate that alcohol or nicotine would satisfy the cravings. However, there are times (but not always) when the thought of eating a pint of Haagen-Daze would satisfy the urge. But that's not always the case.

Fortunately, these cravings aren't overwhelming, but they don't seem to be going away or even diminishing, and that's annoying (and a little disheartening). I may just need more time, but I'd really like to get past this. Venturing a guess for the cause, I believe it's the combination of stopping the nicotine and changing my diet. Together, they've probably left my brain seeking some substance it was used to having on a daily basis.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=FeenixxRising;5466101]
However, there are times (but not always) when the thought of eating a pint of Haagen-Daze would satisfy the urge. But that's not always the case. /QUOTE]

I originally found this site three years ago when I was googling sugar cravings. I think ice cream was the most common sugar cravings I read about for us recovering folks: I think it's the combination of sweet and fatty and cold!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are now voids that are looking to be filled which may explain the cravings. Not being able to pinpiont what it is you crave....must be difficult (as in driving you crazy!) I know it would me.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really just craved the booze buzz.
But to be honest, I've learned that a craving isn't going to kill me.
I'm not an addiction expert, but I would suggest acknowledging the craving, telling yourself that it's just a harmless feeling/sensation and simpling moving on with your day. The message you give your brain is key.
If you tell yourself that the craving is something you should not feel, you will give it promenance.
Good luck and stay safe.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Feenix -- if the cravings aren't overwhelming, why worry about them? Is it possible that the reason your cravings aren't "going away or even diminishing" is because you're giving them too much attention?

I have a lot of passing urges for all kinds of ridiculous things!

We tend to be a self-obsessed lot. I say, have a cup of tea and let your cravings starve for attention in the corner until they wither into dust.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Reckless -- we cross-posted. I'm with you on this one!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Not being able to pinpiont what it is you crave....must be difficult (as in driving you crazy!) I know it would me.
Yes, it's making me a little irritable; fortunately, the cravings aren't present all day long, but occur often enough to be annoying. Oh well, I'll just punch my way through them. I'm sure they will eventually go away. I also have a Dr. appointment next week, so I'll discuss this with her; although, I'm not confident she can offer much help.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

How long do they last? Maybe they are like phantom cravings, just a feeling something is off. After reading that Allen Carr quit smoking book that's how my nicotine cravings were.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
How long do they last? Maybe they are like phantom cravings, just a feeling something is off. After reading that Allen Carr quit smoking book that's how my nicotine cravings were.
Usually they last consistently for a few hours in the evening. It's odd because the "craving" doesn't really go away. When I quit smoking, the physical craving for nicotine would come in waves, but in between the urges, the craving would disappear altogether. This feeling is more like you describe above: as is something is off or out of place and never does really go away until I go to sleep (I have this feeling as I type this post).

I have Carr's book (but didn't use it to quit smoking, I used Chantix instead), so I'll have to read up on phantom cravings. That may explain what's going on.

As I stated in my OP, this feeling isn't overwhelming, but I am curious about the cause. As I consider the cause, I tend to think it's just something that time and good health practices will take care of. I'm sure my brain still needs time to heal from the three substances I've constantly bombarded it with for many years: sugar, nicotine and alcohol (and in that order)
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It could be anything, cigarettes apparently are made up of some 4000.
chemicals.

Here are some fascinating facts.

6. Cigarettes contain arsenic, formaldehyde, lead, hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide, ammonia and 43 known carcinogens.

15. Cigarettes can contain more than 4,000 ingredients, which, when burned, can also produce over 200 ‘compound’ chemicals. Many of these ‘compounds’ have been linked to lung damage.

18. Sugar approximates to roughly 20% of a cigarette, and many diabetics are unaware of this secret sugar intake. Also, the effect of burning sugar is unknown.

When, I gave up, it was sugar I craved. I craved in every way possible from bags of lollies to kilos of fruit.
I allowed myself that first year to indulge...and it sort of goes away by it self.
I think that craving of wanting something but know what lasted about 9 months and then would appear occasionally after that.

Congratulations of giving up the cigs...it is great.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feenixx,
you call it craving, and so i;'m not sure if it's what i might call hunger and others might call void or lack.

if you don't know what it's FOR, that's fine. but imo it's important not to deny that there's a perceived need. whether it's "real" or not remains to be seen

i was sober quite a while before i got restless for 'something'. not a substance. that, i knew.

it was an uncomfortable place for me, and i stayed there for quite a while.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wonder if it's time for a vacation? Seriously. Sometimes a change of scenery can fill up your tank. Lots of affordable spots in the mid-atlantic region make great weekend getaways.

Sometimes a sea breeze or some mountain air can fix things that ice cream can't. Good luck, I am sure you're on the mend but just wanted to throw in my .02.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like your 'Ism' looking for something, anything to sooth it. Recovery tends to come when we start to find and practice new (internal) strategies for soothing our angsts rather than reaching for some kind of external soother (in the form of , for example, nicotine; caffeine, alcohol; sugar; sex; relationships, gambling; illegal or legal drugs).
Old 07-15-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Sounds like your 'Ism' looking for something, anything to sooth it. Recovery tends to come when we start to find and practice new (internal) strategies for soothing our angsts rather than reaching for some kind of external soother (in the form of , for example, nicotine; caffeine, alcohol; sugar; sex; relationships, gambling; illegal or legal drugs).
I'll figure it out. I was really more curious as to the "why" than anything else. And maybe others can relate to and benefit from my experience Throwing away my two remaining crutches (cigarettes and bad food) is probably what put me in this state.

I really don't have any desire to drink, and not much desire to smoke, but food . . . well. I will have to spend some time preparing healthy meals and snacks to have on standby whenever I'm hungry. If I don't have something healthy and reasonably tasty ready to go, I will almost certainly reach for the quickest (and usually unhealthiest) food source available. I love to eat, and I've never had a weight problem, so I could always eat what I wanted. But now that I have T2 diabetes, eating poorly will literally kill me. Finding foods that are both enjoyable and healthy can be tricky. I've been down this road before, and like drinking, relapsing into old habits is very easy to do. I thought driving by my local watering holes was hard, but passing up pizza shops and fast food joints is equally as hard.

Thankfully, I can still drink coffee
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I go through days, weeks where I feel restless, irritable and discontent. It is like cravings that are annoying and frustrating. I hate them. I try to meditate through them. Or post and read here. Or text a couple of AA friends. Because these are the phantom urges that led me to relapse after 10.5 months of sobriety. I'm paying far more attention to these niggling thoughts this time around. I've got 19 months this time. I'm still getting the feelings but I know better where they lead. I think it's a call to add tools to your tool box. Stick with it
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you are on the right track with your thinking as far as what could be causing your cravings. In early sobriety I ate alot of candy. For me, I've switched to a healthier diet lately and I still have sweets but I limit them. Sometimes I crave more and I give into that, then I am sorry afterwards. Better to have a sugar hangover than a booze one I guess. lol I don't know exercise and being outside seems to help me.