View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
I want to add something about the e-cig. I found that I was using it much the same way I would use pot if I had some. Even when I wasn't particularly in the mood, I'd grab it, turn it on and start puffing. Just because it was there! Just like any other thing I abuse, like booze, chewing gum or food. Just because it's there.

My problem isn't necessarily alcohol, it is literally with everything of that nature. I have no internal switch that says I've had enough, or that thing others must have that says that something is available but I don't feel like having any right now. What is that? Anyone else think they have this sort of issue?
compulsive behavior? obsessive thoughts? I think they go along with the territory of alcohol addiction and I think it makes sense that it might carry over into other addictions. People talk casually about having an addictive personality, but I personally think it's a nebulous term that doesn't really help, it's just another label. Is it the cause, or the effect of alcohol abuse?

That being said, I definitely fall into the compulsive/impulsive camp and maybe there's something to it. When I was young, it was video games and TV that took up way too much of my time, and I eventually just gave them up completely, but it's easy to get "sucked in " by something. (One of the reasons I said I gave up cigars very quickly)

I imagine some of that will wane with time along with recovery from drinking. My approach is to fix what I know is broken, and for now my drinking is broken. I was hardly perfect before I started drinking, so I'm sure being sober won't fix everything, but I'm hoping to be at least better off. Maybe the next step is some counseling to look at the compulsive behaviors?