Thread: Drowning
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bolete

Drowning

Hi everyone. I know I should spend some time reading threads and finding my way around, but is it ok if I just unpack a little bit? I'm feeling really lost and hopeless right now and just need to vent a little...

My partner has an alcohol problem. She is not physically dependent by any means, but it is impacting our life. She was getting to the point where she would be drinking to the point of mild drunkeness almost daily. She isn't abusive, just annoying and embarrassing when drunk. Just turns a person who I don't want to be in a relationship with. She has driven while intoxicated, but hasn't been caught. Spends way too much of our money on booze. I am head over heels with her sober self. She is currently on her second try in the last 8 months of abstaining. She is away for work and I thought she was doing well, but she admitted she had two drinks tonight on the phone and she sounded like she has had more than that. I didn't get angry, just told her I loved her and that I would talk to her tomorrow.

I have a long history of alcoholism in my life. My father is an alcoholic (and was since my teens at least). Very similar situation. My ex also had similar problems (partly why I left). All three very high functioning (no abuse, no legal issues). I am starting to think that I am the problem. Neither my current gf or my ex were problem drinkers when we got together.

I just don't know how to handle this.