Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thomas45

Originally Posted by Furiosa View Post
Once I realized that he was an alcoholic, I wanted to separate myself from him and remain friends but maybe not good friends. I'd watched my mom deal with an alcoholic boyfriend and I didn't want to go down that road. Well, we ended up becoming really close friends; hanging out constantly, spending the night at each others houses at least 5x a week.
Sorry if this comes across as blunt, but I'm a little confused as to how you could end up at this situation... if you already understood that shoving your hand in the fire would burn your hand, why would you do it anyway? If you recognize that someone is no good for you, listen to what you're telling yourself and act accordingly. There are ways to politely decline socializing with people who you don't want to be close to.

He goes on binges. He's called me at 1AM to come pick him up. I don't mind picking him up, I told him to call me whenever he needed me no matter what time of day. But it's gotten to the point where it's seriously affecting my life. My friends are noticing how deep I am in trying to help him and getting angry with me because I've blown off plans with them because he needed me. I've almost lost friends because of it. I've gotten to the point where I'm riddled with anxiety when I haven't heard from him for a few hours and the only way I feel better is if I hear from with him or see him. I've driven all over town looking for him, I've left work early because he'd been drinking and was texting me strange things. Today he was saying he wanted to give up. He still drinks, he's barely cut back. He says he wants to get better but he hates himself. I cannot make him see how good he is despite his disease. He hates when I called it a disease because he says it isn't. So I usually call it his "demon." I tell him he's stronger and better than his demon and that he can get passed it but he really doesn't seem to think so. He doesn't think he's worth it. He tries to push me away and has flat out told me he will push me away even harder if I say certain things. I now I've enabled him, I can admit it. But it's usually either I drive him somewhere or he threatens to get in his car and drive and I know he'll do it and I don't want anyone's lives to be in danger. I've gotten to the point where I just want to quit. I just want to walk away because it's gotten so hard.
So walk away. Let me remind you of your own words: "I'd watched my mom deal with an alcoholic boyfriend and I didn't want to go down that road." You are putting yourself down that same road. You owe no obligation to this man to be his safety net, and he is not your responsibility. He is a grown adult and can deal with the consequences of his own choices.