Thread: AGF quit rehab
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

You know, one of the things we partners of alcoholics share with alcoholics is the delusion that "this time it will be different." Alcoholics are great at changing what they drink, making up "rules" for when, what, how, or with whom they drink--positive, each time, that THIS time they have nailed it. Partners and loved ones run around looking for this treatment program, that one, setting (and then adjusting) ultimatums, controlling the alcoholic's environment, etc. None of it makes a dent in this kind of disease.

No idea how you have concluded that her first rehab was "sub-par." All you have to go on are her gripes and the fact that she left. She might be comfy enough to stay in the next one, but if she comes out still drinking that won't be any reflection on the quality of the rehab. As we have said, over and over, no rehab--no program--will "work" with someone who doesn't want to quit drinking. What rehab offers is an opportunity to shut out outside distractions for a while (hence the no-laptop-or-cell phone rule) and focus completely on recovery. Occasionally someone who was reluctant to go to rehab does hear something that tips them to the "wanting recovery" side. That happens with people who are court-ordered to AA, too--if they hear someone whose story they can relate to. Lots and lots of people in rehabs--whether they are the posh ones or the kind she went to in the beginning--and in AA meetings drank exactly the same way she does. If that "clicks" with her at some point, great. But if she isn't at all ready to hear it, she will just keep looking for ways she is different and grounds for concluding what she hears doesn't apply to her.

Look, I'm a lawyer. Retired after one great career and now on my second. Never lost a job, never got arrested (not that I didn't deserve to be stopped for DWI), never developed liver disease or experienced any of the horrible consequences that visited some of my friends in AA. I am no better than they are--just lucky. I never went to rehab. I was scared to death that my luck would run out and I WOULD start experiencing some of those "nevers." I felt horrible every day, like I was carrying this huge, shameful secret. I walked into my first AA meeting (for ME--I had been to them when my ex husbands were getting sober), and I went to 90 meetings in 90 days, never picked up another drink. I was ready. I wanted it. I had a plan B of rehab, but I never needed to go there. Total cost of my recovery: $1 in the basket at each meeting (and if I hadn't had it nobody would have looked sideways at me).

We will all be happy if your g/f comes out of rehab #2 and stays sober. If she does, it will be only partially attributable to the quality of the rehab.

Incidentally, a lot of the people she will be going to THIS rehab with will probably be some of those "criminals" you are so concerned about. A lot of them have well-off family members who, like your g/f's parents, are willing to foot the bill because they desperately want to see their loved one get well. And I hope your g/f keeps close tabs on her laptop and cell phone while she's there. Theft can happen anywhere, and as someone who worked in law enforcement for a very long time, I guarantee you that thefts happen even in "nice" rehabs. If she can read the fine print on her admission papers this time, she will be waiving liability on the part of the rehab if anything happens to them.