View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Mario1

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo View Post
Sounds like a great guy to work for. Don't squander that.

I've been through the tough withdrawals, been hospitalized for it, etc. It seemed that water passed right through me and I always felt thirsty, and food would just turn into a brick in my gut. But I kept at it because I knew getting nutrition and hydration back to something more than zero was necessary. I found that a folic acid supplement and a B vitamin comolex helped immensely with shakes and balance issues. In addition, I took one-a-day multivitamins every four hours. I doubt it helped, but if it could alleviate at least some of the deficiencies,.more the better. What my body couldn't use was passed.

As for the insomnia, I was a fan of the TV or radio on very lightly in the background. Something to listen to in order to focus my mind on anything other than my discomfort.

The sweet, fruity smell of all that junk leaving my body through my pores was horrid. You could scrape the greasy film off me within an hour of a shower, and I constantly felt sticky. My skin also dried out horribly after a long bender, which seems impossible when you feel greasy, but it did. I kept one t-shirt dirty from the body odor of detoxing, and it still has the funk. I kept it for a while, and during that first couple months, if I started talking myself into a drink, a whiff of that shirt ended that pretty quickly.

I will say that I took BRUTALLY hot showers or baths for the first few days. It caused more sweating, but it also relaxed my body enough to grab a blessed hour or two of fitful napping.

I relied on easily digested foods to start. Hard cooked eggs were a favorite, followed by yogurt. Settled the gut amd started giving me some proper food energy. I never was able to really turn the corner on a detox until I started getting some nutrition in me. Even then, it was slow going.

Keep in mind, this can be the LAST time, if you so choose. I was a chronic relapse case...numerous times, and the withdrawals only got WORSE for me. I really hope that you start putting together a plan so you never have to do this again. Six months and change from my last ten days of withdrawals, when a drink would have immediately eased the pain, and I've got a whole new lease on life. But I had to go through enough physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual pain before I made the choices to get the help I needed. It CAN be done. Fight the good fight...we've got lots of warriors here at SR.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Thank you so much, Austin. I'm going to fight through this and figure out a way to keep away from the booze. All of your advice helps. I also like some noise when trying to sleep. A fan helps me out a lot... I will get the help I need. My boss, and another coworker who trained me that has also been through this, both offered to go to AA meetings with me. I am blessed.