View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lizatola

well, after talking to my son last night (I hadn't seen him for 4 days!) he told me that he and his dad think that the Online Charter school is the way to go. He will spend his weekdays with his dad and weekends with me and then I will try to spend one weekday night with him.

He thinks this is what is best for him. It will still be challenging academically but will give him the time in his schedule to keep up with his tennis training, tournaments, etc. He will be accountable to teachers, be on the school district's schedule, have to do standardized testing, etc. So, it's a step up in responsibility from the homeschooling but not so chaotic as going to our massive high school....yet.

By the way, this was the original plan BEFORE I decided to even take the job in May.

I also told him that if the online school doesn't seem like a good fit for him halfway through the first semester, then I wanted him to consider the local high school as the next best alternative.

Then, I put pressure on him to get his learner's permit. He's 16 and is legally old enough to drive but he failed the permit test 3 times and I really would like to see him gain some independence and freedom. That will also help him open up his social calendar AND give him a chance to start a job next year part time.