View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marcher13

I didn't use any specific tools other than SR which I lived on in the early months. For me (I stress me, not others) the reasons I drank were not relevant, I knew I drank too much and I knew I was ruining my health and brain power.

I mainly drank in the evenings so that was where I had to introduce change. I changed where I sat at home, what I did (I took up knitting again), I made sure to eat a good evening meal without leaving myself hungry, I poured a soft drink I liked before 6pm.

When the cravings hit I weathered through them -- not white knuckling exactly --but I knew they would be strong so I got busy or came to SR.

I remain vigilant -- 5.30-6.30pm is my critical time, I come to SR every day to remind myself and to pay back the help I was given. I save the money I used to spend on alcohol and put in an account. I walk and cycle to keep fit.

I'm still knitting (see my avatar) and have now racked up seven blankets for charity along with other items, I'm healthier than I have been in years.

In our house we have two moderate drinkers so I am not without temptation but I've drawn a mental line, they can drink, I can't. It's like my young seven year old friend who has allergies -- he can't have egg, dairy or nuts or he becomes so ill he must be hospitalised. I'm the same except that I am 60 and for me it's alcohol.